TxDMV issues a single-trip permit for the movement of non-divisible vehicles and/or loads exceeding legal Texas size and weight limits up to 254,300 pounds. Single-trip permits may only be used for one movement, during the times specified on the permit, from a specific point of origin to a specific destination.
Note: There are special requirements for the following:
- Manufactured Housing Single-Trip Permit
- Portable Building Single-Trip Permit
- Super Heavy Single-Trip Permit - required for the movement of vehicles and loads that exceed 254,300 pounds total gross weight, exceed the maximum permit weights on any axle or axle group or exceed 200,000 pounds with less than 95 feet of axle spacing.
Vehicles and loads exceeding the following dimensions must have a Route Inspection Certification on file prior to permit issuance.
- Width – 20'
- Height – 18'11"
- Length – 125'
Operating Authority Requirements
Prior to being issued a permit, you must comply with TxDMV Motor Carrier Registration (MCR) or Unified Carrier Registration (UCR). If not required to have TxDMV MCR or UCR, you must have a Permit Surety Bond in the amount of $10,000 on file with TxDMV.
If your vehicle or vehicle combination has a combined gross weight exceeding 200,000 pounds, you must submit a certificate of weight with your permit application. The certificate may be a Shipper's Certificate of Weight (Form 2280), or a purchase order, a bill of lading, a contract to haul, or similar form provided it identifies, at a minimum the following:
- Identification and location of the transporting company and the company contracting the transport
- Description of what is being transported and its weight
Please note: If you are moving your own construction equipment, you must also complete a Shipper's Certificate of Weight and submit it with your permit application.
Fees & Payment Information
The permit fee is $60. In addition to the permit fee, a highway maintenance fee is required for loads exceeding 80,000 pounds. Highway maintenance fees are listed in the table below:
|Gross Weight in Pounds||Highway Maintenance Fee||Permit Fee||Total Fee|
|80,001 - 120,000||$150||$60||$210|
|120,001 - 160,000||$225||$60||$285|
|160,001 - 200,000||$300||$60||$360|
|200,001 - above*||$375||$60||$435|
*Vehicles and loads with a combined gross vehicle weight exceeding 200,000 pounds must have at least 95 feet of total axle spacing. A vehicle supervision fee of $35 will be charged, in addition to the permit fee and highway maintenance fee, for loads exceeding 200,000 pounds.
Fees are payable by:
- MasterCard, VISA, Discover or American Express (a service charge of 25 cents per permit plus 2.25 percent will be added.)
- Funds deposited in a pre-established escrow account
- FirstPay Account established through Frost Bank San Antonio
- Automated Clearing House (ACH) – Electronic Check (only accepted when ordering online through TxPROS)
- Personal check, business check, cashier's check or money order, payable to the Texas Department of Motor Vehicles
- Cash (MUST be delivered to a TxDMV Regional Service Center)
A permit fee will not be refunded after the permit number has been issued unless such refund is necessary to correct an error made by the Motor Carrier Division.
- General escort and equipment requirements apply to both permitted vehicles and escort vehicles.View Escort and Equipment Requirements
- Hauling more than one item may not cause nor increase a dimension or weight that exceeds Texas legal size and weight limits. For example, 10' wide steel plates may be stacked provided the overall height does not exceed 14' and the weight does not exceed legal axle or gross weight limits.
- Review your permit for specific conditions that apply to your load and movement