skip to main content

registration renewal e-reminder address change specialty plates temporary permits vehicle-transit vehicle transfer notification title check

icon note Take Note

Remember to bring along your photo ID when you are buying a vehicle.

You may use any of the following types of identification:

  • Driver license or state identification certificate issued by a state or territory of the U.S.
  • U.S. or foreign passport
  • U.S. military ID
  • North Atlantic Treaty Organization ID or identification issued under a Status of Forces Agreement
  • U.S. Department of Homeland Security ID
  • U.S. Department of State ID
  • U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services document

Need a Replacement Title?
Fill out Form VTR-34, Application for a Certified Copy of Title, and submit it to your Regional Service Center.

Or mail the application to:
1601 Southwest Parkway, Suite A
Wichita Falls, TX 76302

Your Vehicle

October registration sticker






Texas residents are responsible for titling and registering their motor vehicles with the Texas Department of Motor Vehicles unless you are active duty members of the U.S. Armed Forces or non-resident, full-time students attending a Texas college or university.

We also provide parking placards for disabled drivers, and offer consumer protection programs such as the Texas Lemon Law. You can also find specialty license plates and check to see if your moving company is licensed with the TxDMV.

If you have questions about your vehicle and do not find the answers to your questions here, please contact us at (888) DMV-GOTX / (888)368-4689.

For Texas driver licenses please contact the Texas Department of Public Safety at (512) 424-2600 or visit their website at .

Buy or Sell
a Vehicle

Certificate of Title ART

Buyer's Checklist
  • Title:
    Get the vehicle title and have the seller sign, date, and enter the odometer reading on the back.
  • Application:
    Have the seller sign your application for title and write in the sales price.
    Form 130-U
  • After the sale:
    Go to your local county tax office with the seller to file the required paperwork.
  • Apply:
    File your application for title in your name within 30 days from the date of the sale.
    Texas Registration Fees
  • Transit:
    vehicle-transit Get a vehicle transit permit – you'll need it if the previous owner kept the license plates.
Seller's Checklist
  • Title:
    Sign, date and enter the odometer reading on the back of the title.
  • Application:
    Sign the buyer's application for title (Form 130-U) and write in the sales price.
    Form 130-U
  • Plates:
    Keep your license plates – you may transfer them to your other vehicle.
  • Sticker:
    Remove the windshield registration sticker.
  • After the Sale:
    Go to your local county tax office with the buyer to file the required paperwork.
  • Transfer:
    vehicle-transfer If you do not accompany the buyer to the county tax office, file a vehicle transfer notification.

More Information

For more information about vehicle title transfers, please call us at (888) 368-4689 or send us an email.



Replacement License Plates

Replacement plates are available through your local county tax assessor-collector’s office. It costs $6 for most vehicles plus a $0.50 automation fee (used for computer upgrades to the Registration and Titling system).

VTR-60 Application for Replacement License Plate(s)


DMV Blue Placard Rev. 11-2009 - FRONTDMV Red Placard Rev. 11-2009 - FRONT

Visiting Texas?

If you are visiting Texas from another state or country, your valid disabled parking placard and plates will be honored, providing the placard/plate is valid. However, you must abide by Texas laws regarding parking privileges, which may be different from your home state or country.

For Our


To help make the process easier, we have created a military packet summarizing the steps to title or register your vehicle. This packet may also be used by friends and family to submit title and registration forms on your behalf.

Non-residents serving in Texas may, but are not required to, register their vehicle with the local county tax office.


Copyright © 2020 Texas Department of Motor Vehicles. All rights reserved. - 4000 Jackson Ave, Austin, TX 78731