Disabled Parking, Placards & Plates

Those with a disabled parking placard or a license plate displaying the ISA may:

  1. Park in any spot designated for persons with disabilities
  2. Be exempt from local and state government parking meters. State law does not allow you to exceed the meter limit, but cities may pass ordinances to extend your meter time


Placard and plate eligibility is based on a medical condition that meets the legal definition of a disability. "Disability" means a condition in which a person has:

  • Visual acuity of 20/200 or less in the better eye with correcting lenses
  • Visual acuity of more than 20/200 but with a limited field of vision in which the widest diameter of the visual field subtends an angle of 20 degrees or less
  • Mobility problems that substantially impair a person's ability to move around; these problems can be caused by:
    • Paralysis
    • Lung disease
    • Cardiac deficiency
    • Wheelchair confinement
    • Arthritis
    • Foot disorder
    • Other medical condition causing a person to use a brace, cane, crutch or other assistive device.

NOTE: A parking placard or plate is ONLY valid when being used by the person with the disability or someone who is driving the person with the disability.

It is a violation of state law to use the placard or plates for a disabled parking spot without the person with the disability in the vehicle. People who misuse disabled parking placards are subject to fines of up to $1,250 and/or up to 50 hours of community service.

How to Apply

You may apply for a placard and/or plate at your local county tax assessor-collector's office.

To apply for a "permanent" (blue) placard or "temporary" (red) placard, you must:

  1. Download the Application for Persons with Disabilities Parking Placard and/or License Plate (Form VTR-214)
  2. Have your doctor or health care provider complete the Disability Statement section of the application
  3. Submit the completed application and payment (if applicable) to your county tax office

How to Renew

If you have a "temporary" (red) placard that expires, you will need to apply for a new placard if your temporary disability extends beyond the six-month limit. To renew a "permanent" (blue) placard, you must:

  1. Download the Application for Persons with Disabilities Parking Placard and/or License Plate (Form VTR-214)
  2. Complete all sections on page 1 of the new application (the doctor is not required to complete the disability statement on page 2)
  3. Submit a copy of the original application, along with the new application to your county tax office. If you do not have a copy of your application, you may also submit your expiring placard(s) to your county tax office
Find Your Local Tax Office & DMV

More Information

For more information, please call our customer help line at (888) 368-4689 or (512) 465-3000.

If you are visiting Texas from another state or country, your valid disabled parking placard and plates will be honored, providing the placard/plate is valid. However, you must abide by Texas laws regarding parking privileges, which may be different from your home state or country.

If the purpose of your visit is to seek medical treatment in Texas and you have a permanent disability, you may apply for a six-month disabled placard at no charge. If the six-month placard expires before your medical treatment ends, you will need to apply for a new one.

Lost or Stolen Placard

If your placard is lost or stolen, you can replace it by presenting a copy of the Form VTR-214 that you originally submitted, to your local county tax assessor-collector office. If you do not have a copy of the form or the county tax assessor-collector office cannot verify the placard was issued, you will need to apply for a new disabled placard by completing a new application.

Seizure of Placard

If your placard was seized by a law enforcement officer and you would like a new one, you must apply for a new placard through your local county tax assessor-collector’s office. An Application for Persons with Disabilities Parking Placard and/or License Plate (Form VTR-214) will need to be completed and signed. The disability statement section will not need to be completed. The application is available by clicking on the link above.

Disabled Veteran license plates feature "DV" as part of the license plate number. DV-designated plates provide the same parking rights and privileges as a plate with the International Symbol of Access.

To qualify:

  • You must be a veteran of the U.S. Armed Forces, with a service-connected disability of at least 50 percent, or at least 40 percent due to the amputation of a lower extremity.
  • You must be honorably discharged, receiving compensation from the U.S. government as a result of such disability.
  • Proof of eligibility may be provided with signed approval by the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs on an Application for Disabled Veteran License Plates and Parking Placards (Form VTR-615), or a letter from Veterans Affairs stating eligibility.
  • Texas cities may provide additional parking privileges, such as free parking at the airport. Check with your local city officials. Vehicles with Disabled Veteran license plates may be parked for an unlimited period in a parking space or area that is designated specifically for persons with physical disabilities on the property of an institution of higher education regardless of whether a permit is generally required for the use of the space or area. For more information about campus parking privileges, please contact the institution of higher education.

In addition to the Disabled Veteran plate, certain military honors license plates are also eligible for exemptions from payment of certain parking fees, including:

  • Air Force Cross
  • Air Medal
  • Air Medal with Valor
  • Army Distinguished Service Cross
  • Bronze Star
  • Bronze Star with Valor
  • Congressional Medal of Honor
  • Defense Superior Service Medal
  • Distinguished Flying Cross
  • Distinguished Service Medal
  • Former Prisoner of War
  • Legion of Merit
  • Legion of Valor
  • Medal of Honor
  • Navy Cross
  • Pearl Harbor Survivor
  • Purple Heart
  • Silver Star
  • World War II Veterans