TxDMV issues a single-trip permit for the movement of manufactured housing or industrialized buildings/housing exceeding Texas legal size limits when transported on any returnable undercarriage or temporary chassis system.
Single-trip manufactured housing permits may only be used for one movement, during the times specified on the permit (not to exceed five days), from a specific point of origin to a specific destination.
Operating Authority Requirements
Prior to being issued a permit, you must comply with TxDMV Motor Carrier Registration (MCR), Unified Carrier Registration (UCR) or be licensed by the Texas Department of Housing and Community Affairs (TDHCA).If you are the owner and/or occupant of a manufactured home, you may move your home provided the home and the pulling vehicle are both registered to you. This applies only to homes being moved by the owner as a personal family dwelling.
Fees & Payment Information
The permit fee is $40. Fees are payable by:
- MasterCard, VISA, Discover or American Express (a service charge of 25 cents per permit plus 2.25 percent will be added.)
- Automated Clearing House (ACH) – Electronic Check (only accepted when ordering online through TxPROS)
- Personal check, business check, cashier's check or money order, payable to the Texas Department of Motor Vehicles
- Cash (MUST be delivered to a TxDMV Regional Service Center)
A permit fee will not be refunded after the permit number has been issued unless such refund is necessary to correct an error made by the Motor Carrier Division.
- General escort and equipment requirements apply to both permitted vehicles and escort vehicles. View Escort and Equipment Requirements
- You may not transport manufactured housing on the following holidays: New Year's Day, Memorial Day, Independence Day, Labor Day, Thanksgiving Day and Christmas Day.
- You must obtain a General Single-Trip Permit to haul a stack of manufactured housing frames.
- Manufactured housing exceeding legal gross, axle or axle group weights must obtain a General Single-Trip Permit.