TxDMV issues a single-trip super heavy permit for the movement of non-divisible vehicles and/or loads that exceed 254,300 pounds total gross weight, the maximum permit weights on any axle or axle group or between 200,001 pounds and 254,300 pounds with less than 95 feet of axle spacing.
Single-trip permits may only be used for one movement, during the times specified on the permit, from a specific point of origin to a specific destination.
Operating Authority Requirements
Loading diagrams must specify the following:
- number of axles
- number of tires on each axle
- tire size on each axle
- distance between each axle
- tire and gross weight for each axle group
- transverse spacing of each set of dual wheels
- the load's center of gravity
- distance from the center of gravity to the center of the front bolster
- distance from the center of gravity to the center of the rear bolster
- distance from the center of the front bolster to the center of the fifth wheel of the truck
- distance from the center of the rear bolster to the center of the closest axle
- tire pressure
- weight per lateral inch
- any other measurements as may be needed to verify that the weight of the load is adequately distributed among the various axle groups in the amounts shown on the loading diagram
How to Apply
You may also:
- Download the Super Heavy Application Packet (Form 305) and submit by fax to (512) 465-4248, email to MCD_Permit-Superheavy@txdmv.gov, or by mail to TxDMV-MCD, 4000 Jackson Ave., Austin, Texas 78731.
Payment information must be provided with faxed and mailed applications. Do not include payment information with applications submitted via email. Instead, contact our office to provide payment information.
A copy of the signed Certification Regarding Agreement to Transport Super Heavy Load(s) (Form MCD-305 SH CERT) and a loading diagram must be included with the application.
Applications and supporting documentation must be sent six to eight weeks before the permit is required, unless an existing pre-approved route is on file.
Fees & Payment Information
The permit fee is $60. In addition to the permit fee, a $375 highway maintenance fee and the applicable vehicle supervision fee are required. Vehicle supervision fees are listed in the table below.
|Bridge analysis performed by a state (TxDOT) approved private engineer||$500|
|Additional identical permit loads ordered within 30 days of last permit||$35|
|No bridges crossed on route||$100|
Fees are payable by:
- MasterCard, VISA, Discover or American Express (a service charge of 25 cents per permit plus 2.25 percent will be added.)
- Funds deposited in a pre-established escrow account
- FirstPay Account established through Frost Bank San Antonio
- Automated Clearing House (ACH) – Electronic Check (only accepted when ordering online through TxPROS)
- Personal check, business check, cashier's check or money order, payable to the Texas Department of Motor Vehicles (for mail applications only)
A permit fee will not be refunded after the permit number has been issued unless such refund is necessary to correct an error made by the Motor Carrier Division.
- General escort and equipment requirements apply to both permitted vehicles and escort vehicles.View Escort and Equipment Requirements
- Review your permit for specific conditions that apply to your load and movement
- Some Oversize/Overweight permits may require coordination with Texas Department of Transportation district offices to determine route suitability or to facilitate movement of the load.