Motor Carriers

Important Notices

  TxPROS and FMCSA Out-of-Service Orders

In 2019, the Texas Legislature passed House Bill 2620 which allows the TxDMV to deny a permit to an applicant that has been placed out-of-service by the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA) or that the Texas Department of Public Safety has determined has an unsatisfactory safety rating under federal or state rules and regulations.

Effective Tuesday, August 24, TxPROS will begin evaluating each permit application at the beginning of the application process to determine if any of the above apply to the permit applicant. If you are required to have a USDOT Number, you will be required to provide this at the start of the permit application process. (If your USDOT Number is listed in your company information in TxPROS, the field will be auto filled for you.) Your number will be checked against the FMCSA system, MCMIS, if nothing is found you will be able to proceed with the application process. If the check determines your company is the subject of one of the above (paragraph 1), you will receive a message informing you that your company is the subject of an out-of-service order including information on who to contact to resolve it.

The company name on your permit will now match the company name as it is listed in MCMIS on your MCS-150 with FMCSA for your USDOT Number. If FMCSA does not have the correct name, you will need to login to their system or contact them to correct it prior to issuing your permit.

To view you company’s current USDOT Number information and status, visit:

To update your USDOT Number info, visit:

Essential Tools

Motor Carrier Resources

TxDMV Number & Unified Carrier Registration

Motor carriers operating intrastate commercial motor vehicles on a road or highway in Texas must get a TxDMV number.

The federal Unified Carrier Registration (UCR) Agreement requires individuals and companies that operate commercial motor vehicles in interstate or international commerce to register their business with TxDMV and pay an annual fee based on the size of their fleet.