Motor carriers operating INTRAstate commercial motor vehicles on a road or highway in Texas must register their operations with the Texas Department of Motor Vehicles Motor Carrier Division. For INTRAstate operations please ensure you register with USDOT as INTRAstate not INTERstate.
You must register as a motor carrier when you:
- Operate a commercial motor vehicle (or a combination of vehicles) with a gross weight, registered weight or gross-weight rating exceeding 26,000 pounds
- Transport hazardous materials in a quantity that requires placarding
- Operate a farm vehicle with a gross weight, registered weight or gross weight rating of 48,000 pounds or more
- Operate a vehicle designed to transport more than 15 passengers, including the driver
- Operate a commercial school bus
- Transport household goods for compensation, regardless of vehicle weight
Motor carrier registration (TxDMV Number) is available for seven calendar days, 90 days, one year or two years. A motor carrier certificate of registration is non-transferable between carriers registered as a sole proprietor.
* Passenger carriers may not perform these functions online.
For questions or assistance with using MCCS, please contact the TxDMV at (800) 299-1700.