Motor Carriers FAQ


  1. How do I get Unified Carrier Registration (UCR)?

    The 2019 Unified Carrier Registration (UCR) began Dec. 28, 2018 following action by the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA) approving 2019 fees. Enforcement will begin April 30, 2019. Go to to register.

    Learn more about UCR

  2. How do I get an oversize/overweight permit?

    Vehicles and loads that exceed legal size or weight limits need an oversize/overweight (OS/OW) permit and route from the TxDMV to travel on Texas roads.

    For assistance in determining the permit types available for your vehicle and/or load, log in to the Texas Permitting & Routing Optimization System (TxPROS) and select the Permit Wizard, or call us at (800) 299-1700.

    The normal hours of operation for our Oversize/Overweight Permits Office are 7 a.m. - 5 p.m. Monday through Friday. REMINDER: The toll-free phone line shuts down 30 minutes prior to the end of office hours each day.

    More information

  3. How do I get apportioned registration?

    TxDMV has a program for licensing commercial vehicles engaged in interstate operations. Apportioned registration, also known as the International Registration Plan (IRP), lets you obtain registration credentials in one jurisdiction, giving you the freedom of interstate travel without the inconvenience and expense of purchasing trip permits.

    If you operate interstate, you may qualify for apportioned registration. To learn if you qualify, contact your local TxDMV Regional Service Center or send us an email at

    Learn more here

  4. How do I get a USDOT number?

    Please visit the following link to get a USDOT number.

  5. How do I get a TxDMV number?

    Motor carriers operating INTRAstate commercial motor vehicles on a road or highway in Texas must register their operations with the TxDMV’s Motor Carrier Division. For INTRAstate operations please ensure you register with USDOT as INTRAstate not INTERstate.

    You must register as a motor carrier when you:

    • Operate a vehicle (or combination of vehicles) with a gross weight, registered weight or gross-weight rating exceeding 26,000 pounds
    • Transport hazardous materials in a quantity that requires placarding
    • Operate a farm vehicle with a gross weight, registered weight or gross weight rating of 48,000 pounds or more
    • Operate a vehicle designed to transport more than 15 passengers, including the driver *
    • Operate a commercial school bus
    • Transport household goods for compensation, regardless of vehicle weight

    Motor carrier registration (TxDMV Number) is available for seven calendar days, 90 days, one year or two years. A motor carrier certificate of registration is non-transferable between carriers registered as a sole proprietor.

    Motor carriers can set up new authority (TxDMV Number) through our new online eLINC registration system.

    Motor carriers can update information, renew certificate*, print cab cards and more through our online Motor Carrier Credentialing System (MCCS).

    For questions or assistance with using MCCS, please contact the TxDMV at (800) 299-1700.

    *Passenger carriers may not perform these functions online.

    Read more here