TxDMV issues a single-trip permit for the transportation of portable buildings and portable building compatible cargo when exceeding Texas legal size limits. Single-trip permits may only be used for one movement, during the times specified on the permit, from a specific point of origin to a specific destination.
To qualify for the portable building single-trip permit, the vehicle and load must be no greater than 14 feet high and 80 feet long. Vehicles and/or loads exceeding these dimensions require a general single-trip permit.
Operating Authority RequirementsThere are no operating authority requirements for issuance of this permit type.
Fees & Payment Information
The permit fee is $15. Fees are payable by:
- MasterCard, VISA, Discover or American Express (a service charge of 25 cents per permit plus 2.25 percent will be added.)
- Automated Clearing House (ACH) – Electronic Check (only accepted when ordering online through TxPROS)
- Personal check, business check, cashier's check or money order, payable to the Texas Department of Motor Vehicles
- Cash (MUST be delivered to a TxDMV Regional Service Center)
A permit fee will not be refunded after the permit number has been issued unless such refund is necessary to correct an error made by the Motor Carrier Division.
- General escort and equipment requirements apply to both permitted vehicles and escort vehicles. View Escort and Equipment Requirements
- Multiple portable buildings may be loaded end to end, provided they are loaded at the narrowest width and the overall length does not exceed 80' including the rear overhang, which cannot exceed legal (4').
- You must obtain a General Single-Trip Permit to haul a stack of manufactured housing frames.
- Review your permit for specific conditions that apply to your load and movement.