TxDMV issues an annual permit for the movement of water well drilling machinery and related equipment that cannot be reasonably dismantled. This permit is an annual permit that expires one year from the effective date.
Oversize or overweight water well drilling machinery and equipment operating under this permit may not exceed:
- Maximum Width - 16'
- Maximum Height – 14'6"
- Maximum Length - 110'
- Maximum Weight – maximum allowable permit weights
Note: Machinery and equipment moving under this permit may only travel on the state highway system.
Operating Authority Requirements
Prior to being issued a permit, you must comply with TxDMV Motor Carrier Registration (MCR) or Unified Carrier Registration (UCR). If not required to have TxDMV MCR or UCR, you must have a permit bond in the amount of $10,000 on file with TxDMV.
You are responsible for routing and obtaining current restrictions prior to movement. Active time permit holders may use TxPROS to generate free routes for loads moving under their time permit.
Fees & Payment Information
The annual permit fee is $270. In addition to the permit fee, a highway maintenance fee is required for loads exceeding 80,000 pounds. Highway maintenance fees are listed in the table below:
|Gross Weight in Pounds||Highway Maintenance Fee||Permit Fee||Total Fee|
|80,001 - 120,000||$150||$270||$420|
|120,001 - 160,000||$225||$270||$495|
|160,001 - 200,000||$300||$270||$570|
|200,001 - above*||$375||$270||$645|
*Vehicles and loads with a combined gross vehicle weight exceeding 200,000 pounds must have at least 95 feet of total axle spacing. A vehicle supervision fee of $35 will be charged, in addition to the permit fee and highway maintenance fee, for loads exceeding 200,000 pounds. Fees are payable by:
- MasterCard, VISA, Discover or American Express (a service charge of 25 cents per permit plus 2.25 percent will be added.)
- Funds deposited in a pre-established escrow account
- FirstPay Account established through Frost Bank San Antonio
- Automated Clearing House (ACH) – Electronic Check (only accepted when ordering online through TxPROS)
- Personal check, business check, cashier's check or money order, payable to the Texas Department of Motor Vehicles
- Cash (MUST be delivered to a TxDMV Regional Service Center)
A permit fee will not be refunded after the permit number has been issued unless such refund is necessary to correct an error made by the Motor Carrier Division.
- General escort and equipment requirements apply to both permitted and escort vehicles.
- A permit may not be transferred between vehicles or permittees.
- Review your permit for specific curfews and conditions that apply to your load and movement.