TxDMV issues a single-trip permit for the movement of self-propelled off-road equipment exceeding Texas legal size and weight limits. Single-trip permits may only be used for one movement, during the times specified on the permit, from a specific point of origin to a specific destination.
Self-propelled off road equipment operating under this permit must meet the following requirements:
- Weight per inch of tire width does not exceed 650 pounds
- Weight per axle does not exceed 45,000 pounds
- All wheels have a minimum rim diameter of 25 inches
- Minimum spacing between axles, measured from center of axle to center of axle, is not less than 12 feet
- Equipment must be empty.
Note: Equipment moving under this permit may not travel on controlled access highways.
Fees & Payment Information
The permit fee is $60.
In addition to the permit fee, a highway maintenance fee is required for loads exceeding 80,000 pounds. Highway maintenance fees are listed in the table below:
|Gross Weight in Pounds||Highway Maintenance Fee||Permit Fee||Total Fee|
|80,001 - 120,000||$150||$60||$210|
|120,001 - 160,000||$225||$60||$285|
|160,001 - 200,000||$300||$60||$360|
|200,001 - above*||$375||$60||$435|
*Vehicles and loads with a combined gross vehicle weight exceeding 200,000 pounds must have at least 95 feet of total axle spacing. A vehicle supervision fee of $35 will be charged, in addition to the permit fee and highway maintenance fee, for loads exceeding 200,000 pounds. Fees are payable by:
- MasterCard, VISA, Discover or American Express (a service charge of 25 cents per permit plus 2.25 percent will be added.)
- Automated Clearing House (ACH) – Electronic Check (only accepted when ordering online through TxPROS)
- Personal check, business check, cashier's check or money order, payable to the Texas Department of Motor Vehicles
- Cash (MUST be delivered to a TxDMV Regional Service Center)
A permit fee will not be refunded after the permit number has been issued unless such refund is necessary to correct an error made by the Motor Carrier Division.
- General escort and equipment requirements apply to both permitted vehicles and escort vehicles. View Escort and Equipment Requirements
- Review your permit for specific curfews and conditions that apply to your load and movement.