In addition to the requirements of the permit type you are applying for, if your vehicle or load exceeds one of the following dimensions, you must apply for and certify a Route Inspection prior to your permit being issued.
- Width – 20'
- Height – 18'11"
- Length – 125'
A representative of your company must physically inspect the proposed route to ensure the safety of the load, traveling public and the state infrastructure. A company representative must certify (sign and date) the route inspection proposal after the route has been physically inspected.
Request a Route Inspection
- Apply online through TxPROS
- Download and submit a Route Inspection Application (Form MCD-306a) by fax to (512) 465-4254
After receiving your application, TxDMV will select a tentative route. Please submit your route inspection requests three to five days in advance of the proposed movement date to allow sufficient time for the route inspection process to be completed properly.
MCD will contact you if your application is incomplete.
- General Escort and Equipment Requirements apply to both permitted vehicles and escort vehicles.
- Hauling more than one item may not cause nor increase a dimension or weight to exceed Texas legal size and weight limits. For example, 10' wide steel plates may be stacked provided the overall height does not exceed 14' and the weight does not exceed legal axle or gross weight limits.
- Law enforcement assistance may be required by TxDOT to control traffic when a permitted vehicle is being moved within the corporate limits of a city, or at such times when law enforcement assistance would provide for the safe movement of the permitted vehicle and for the traveling public's safety.