I lost or misplaced my registration receipt. How do I get another?
If your registration receipt was lost or misplaced, you can get a duplicate receipt either in person or by mail. You will need to submit the following to request a duplicate receipt:
- Completed Request for Texas Motor Vehicle Information Form (Form VTR-275)
- Copy of applicant's current driver license or government-issued photo identification
- $2.00 Fee:
- If you are submitting to the Texas Department of Motor Vehicles you can pay by check or money order payable to the Texas Department of Motor Vehicles (cash accepted in person, not in the mail)
- If you are submitting to the county tax office, you will need to contact your local county tax office for their acceptable payment methods
- By mail: Mail to the address on the form. NOTE: this is a valid address even though there is no street name, and you may overnight your request to that address to expedite mail time
- In-person: Visit your local county tax office or a Texas Department of Motor Vehicles Regional Service Center
Commercial vehicles are required to have the receipt in the vehicles at all times. However, for all other vehicles, it is recommended the registration receipt be retained in the vehicle, as it serves as proof of registration.