TxDMV issues an annual permit for the movement of rig-up trucks on state-maintained roads. This permit is an annual permit that expires one year from the effective date.
Units operating under this permit may not exceed:
- Height – Legal
- Length - Legal
- Weight – 25,000 pounds or 850 pounds per inch of tire width on the steer axle(s), whichever is less. All other axles must be legal weight.
NOTE: You must verify the size and weight limits needed BEFORE seeking a special permit.
Operating Authority Requirements
There are no operating authority requirements for issuance of this permit type.
- The unit may not haul a load.
- You are responsible for routing and obtaining current restrictions prior to movement. Active time permit holders may use TxPROS to generate free routes for loads moving under their time permit.
How to Apply
You may also:
- Download the Application for Time Permits (Form 302) and submit by mail to the address listed on the application form.
- Call (800) 299-1700
Payment information must be provided with the permit application.
Fees & Payment Information
The annual permit fee is $52. Fees are payable by:
- MasterCard, VISA, Discover or American Express (a service charge of 25 cents per permit plus 2.25 percent will be added.)
- Automated Clearing House (ACH) – Electronic Check (only accepted when ordering online through TxPROS)
- Personal check, business check, cashier's check or money order, payable to the Texas Department of Motor Vehicles
- Cash (MUST be delivered to a TxDMV Regional Service Center)
A permit fee will not be refunded after the permit number has been issued unless such refund is necessary to correct an error made by the Motor Carrier Division.
- General escort and equipment requirements apply to both permitted and escort vehicles.
- For overlength permits front overhang cannot be more than 25' and rear overhang may not exceed 30'.
- Night movement is allowed provided the width does not exceed nine feet.
- Permit may not be amended
- Review your permit for specific curfews and conditions that apply to your load and movement.