TxDMV issues a single-trip, mileage-based permit for the movement of self-propelled and trailer-mounted cranes as well as well-servicing units exceeding legal Texas size and weight limits. Single-trip mileage permits are valid for a maximum of seven consecutive days, from a specific point of origin to a specific ending point. A single-trip mileage permit allows the unit to return to the point of origin or other location on the same permit, provided the miles for the entire route are charged.
The maximum permit weight for any single axle may not exceed 30,000 pounds or 850 pounds per inch of tire width, whichever is less. Units may not exceed 850 pounds per inch of tire width for non-steerable units and 950 pounds per inch of tire width for steerable units.
Operating Authority Requirements
There are no operating authority requirements for issuance of this permit type.
How to Apply
You may also:
- Download the Mileage Permit Facsimile Application (Form 106-M) and submit by fax to (512) 465-4248, or
- Call (800) 299-1700
Payment information must be provided with the permit application.
Applicants without access to the internet or a fax machine for permit receipt must complete Texas Self-Issue Application and Permit (Form 1700) and apply by telephone.
Fees & Payment Information
Permit fee is based on the number of miles permitted to travel and the size and weight of the vehicle and load. The minimum fee is $31. For more information on fees, call 1-800-299-1700. Fees are payable by:
- MasterCard, VISA, Discover or American Express (a service charge of 25 cents per permit plus 2.25 percent will be added.)
- Funds deposited in a pre-established escrow account
- FirstPay Account established through Frost Bank San Antonio
- Automated Clearing House (ACH) – Electronic Check (only accepted when ordering online through TxPROS)
- Personal check, business check, cashier's check or money order, payable to the Texas Department of Motor Vehicles
- Cash (MUST be delivered to a TxDMV Regional Service Center)
A permit fee will not be refunded after the permit number has been issued unless such refund is necessary to correct an error made by the Motor Carrier Division.
- General escort and equipment requirements apply to both permitted vehicles and escort vehicles.View Escort and Equipment Requirements
- An oil well related vehicle or crane exceeding 175,000 pounds gross weight must have front and rear escorts when crossing bridges to prevent traffic from traveling beside the unit.
- Self-propelled well servicing units and cranes, moving with this permit, that are 9' wide or less, 14' high or less and 65' long or less are allowed 24-hour movement.
- Self-propelled cranes moving with this permit that are 10' 6" wide or less, 14' high or less and 95' long or less are allowed night movement with front and rear escorts.
- Review your permit for specific conditions that apply to your load and movement.