TxDMV issues an annual length permit for the transport of loads exceeding Texas legal length limits. This permit is an annual permit that expires one year from the effective date.
To qualify for this permit, vehicles and loads must be:
- No greater than 8’6” wide, 14’ high, 110’ long for vehicles and loads on a trailer.
- No longer than 75’ long for single vehicles moving empty or hauling a load.
Note: This permit adds an annual option to the existing 30-, 60-, and 90-day length permit.
Operating Authority Requirements
Prior to being issued a permit, you must comply with TxDMV Motor Carrier Registration (MCR) or Unified Carrier Registration (UCR). If not required to have TxDMV MCR or UCR, you must have a permit bond in the amount of $10,000 on file with TxDMV.
You are responsible for routing and obtaining current restrictions prior to movement. Active time permit holders may use TxPROS to generate free routes for loads moving under their time permit.
Fees & Payment Information
The annual permit fee is $960. Fees are payable by:
- MasterCard, VISA, Discover or American Express (a service charge of 25 cents per permit plus 2.25 percent will be added.)
- Funds deposited in a pre-established escrow account
- FirstPay Account established through Frost Bank San Antonio
- Automated Clearing House (ACH) – Electronic Check (only accepted when ordering online through TxPROS)
- Personal check, business check, cashier's check or money order, payable to the Texas Department of Motor Vehicles
- Cash (MUST be delivered to a TxDMV Regional Service Center)
A permit fee will not be refunded after the permit number has been issued unless such refund is necessary to correct an error made by the Motor Carrier Division.