How do I renew my vehicle registration?
Texans have several options available to renew their registration.
- Step 1: Obtain a Texas vehicle inspection at any state inspection station within the owner's/renewal recipient's county of residence, no earlier than 90 days prior to the registration expiration
- Proof of vehicle insurance will be required at time of inspection
- Visit our website to find out when to inspect
- Step 2: Renew the vehicle registration one of three ways:
- NOTE: You will need to go in person to your county tax office if:
- You received a citation for expired registration (a 20% registration penalty fee applies)
- Your registration is expired (online renewal is allowed up to 9 months after expiration)
- There is a hold on your registration due to certain unpaid fines, fees, or taxes
- ONLINE OPTION:
- We recommend waiting at least 24 hours after obtaining a passing inspection to renew online
- Click here to renew online
- A payment confirmation receipt email will be sent immediately to you if the online renewal is successful
- Approximately 3 business days later, a second email will be sent to you advising you if the renewal was approved
- If approved, the email will include a receipt that may be used as temporary proof of registration, while the sticker is in the mail process which may take up to 2 weeks to receive. Keep this in your vehicle in case you are stopped by law enforcement.
- COUNTY TAX OFFICE OPTION:
- Submit the following in person or by mail to the owner's/renewal recipient's local county tax office:
- Renewal notice or vehicle identification number or plate number
- Copy of owner's current driver license or government-issued photo identification
- Proof of current vehicle insurance (copy)
- Proof of current Texas vehicle inspection (copy)
- Fees: Contact your local county tax office for exact fee amount and payment methods
- GROCERY STORE OR OTHER APPROVED LOCATIONS OPTION (varies by county):
- The same items are required as if you were renewing in person at the county tax office; however, you must have the Renewal Notice or the Inspection and Registration Notice to renew at one of these locations.