TxDMV issues quarterly hubometer permits for the following vehicle types:
- Self-propelled oil well servicing units
- Self-propelled mobile cranes
- Self-propelled concrete pumps
- Trailer-mounted oil well servicing units
- Coiled tubing units
- Swabbing units
- Self-propelled bundle extractors
This permit expires 91 days from the effective date.
Units operating under this permit may not exceed:
- Maximum width – 12'
- Maximum height – 14'6"
- Maximum length – 95'
- Maximum weight:
- 30,000 pounds per axle based upon results of weight analysis
- 850 pounds per inch of tire width for non-steerable units
- 950 pounds per inch of tire width for steerable units
Operating Authority Requirements
There are no operating authority requirements for issuance of this permit type.
- A hubometer is required on the drive axle of the permitted unit with the exception of units that are overlength only. Hubometers may be purchased at oil field supply stores.
- You are responsible for routing and obtaining current restrictions prior to movement. Active time permit holders may use TxPROS to generate free routes for loads moving under their time permit.
Fees & Payment Information
The permit fee is based on the hubometer mileage and the size and weight of the vehicle and load. The minimum fee is $31. For more information on fees, call (800) 299-1700. Fees are payable by:
- MasterCard, VISA, Discover or American Express (a service charge of 25 cents per permit plus 2.25 percent will be added.)
- Funds deposited in a pre-established escrow account
- FirstPay Account established through Frost Bank San Antonio
- Automated Clearing House (ACH) – Electronic Check (only accepted when ordering online through TxPROS)
- Personal check, business check, cashier's check or money order, payable to the Texas Department of Motor Vehicles
A permit fee will not be refunded after the permit number has been issued unless such refund is necessary to correct an error made by the Motor Carrier Division.
- Permits may only be amended to indicate a new hubometer serial number or a new license plate number.
- Permit may not be transferred between vehicles or permittees.
- Review your permit for specific curfews and conditions that apply to your load and movement.
- Self-propelled well servicing units and cranes, moving with this permit, that are 9' wide or less, 14' high or less and 65' long or less are allowed 24-hour movement.
- Self-propelled cranes moving with this permit that are 10' 6" wide or less, 14' high or less and 95' long or less are allowed night movement with front and rear escorts.