TxDMV issues an annual permit for the overweight transport of fluid milk on routes approved by the Texas Department of Transportation. The vehicle combination may not exceed Texas legal size limits. The permit is an annual permit that expires one year from the effective date.
The truck-tractor and semitrailer combination must have six axles and must have the following axle distances:
- 15 feet or more between the first (steer) axle of the truck-tractor and the first axle of the first axle group (drive axles),
- 36 feet or more between the first drive axle and last trailer axle
- 48 to 54 inches between the axles within each axle group.
The gross weight may not exceed 90,000 pounds. Axle and axle group weight limits are:
- Truck-tractor single axle – legal weight
- Two-axle group – 36,500 pounds total
- Three-axle group – 42,500 pounds total
Note: A vehicle moving with this permit may operate on a federal interstate highway or a state, county, or municipal road if the vehicle displays the permit windshield sticker, has the required number of axles and axle distances, and and does not exceed the maximum gross weight or axle/axle group weight limits. Permit is valid for travel on specific routes that have been approved by the Texas Department of Transportation. Permit applicant must select routes to be traveled at time of application.
Operating Authority Requirements
There are no operating authority requirements for issuance of this permit type.
- The vehicle combination must be equipped with a roll stability support safety system and blind spot support systems.
- You may not operate your vehicle on a load-posted road or bridge if the gross weight of the vehicle combination and load, or the axles and wheel loads, are greater than the established and posted limits.
- You are responsible for routing and obtaining current restrictions prior to movement.
Fees & Payment Information
The annual permit fee is $1,200. Fees are payable by:
- MasterCard, VISA, Discover or American Express (a service charge of 25 cents per permit plus 2.25 percent will be added.)
- Automated Clearing House (ACH) – Electronic Check (only accepted when ordering online through TxPROS)
- Cash - No checks, cashier’s checks or money orders (MUST be delivered to a TxDMV Regional Service Center)
A permit fee will not be refunded after the permit number has been issued unless such refund is necessary to correct an error made by the TxDMV.
- Permit may not be amended.
- Review your permit for specific curfews and conditions that apply to your load and movement.
- A copy of the president's emergency declaration must be carried with the permit.
- This is the only permit issued by TxDMV that may be used to transport fluid milk.