An assembled vehicle is a vehicle that is assembled from component parts (motor, body, and frame), as applicable to the type of assembled vehicle. An assembled vehicle includes an assembled motor vehicle, assembled motorcycle, assembled trailer, and a custom vehicle, street rod, replica, and glider kit.
An assembled vehicle may not be titled or registered if it is constructed by merging two or more vehicles classes, except parts from certain passenger cars, pickups, panels, and vans may be interchanged; uses the frame or body of a nonrepairable motor vehicle; contains any electrical or mechanical components from a flood-damaged vehicle; is designed for off-highway use or on-track racing only; is a stripped vehicle; or uses any parts not compliant with federal motor vehicle safety standards if a standard exists.
If you are the owner of an assembled vehicle that has not been titled as an assembled vehicle in Texas or another state, you are required to obtain title and registration for your vehicle. Prior to applying for title and registration, you must obtain a letter issued by a Texas Department of Motor Vehicles (TxDMV) Regional Service Center (RSC). The RSC will determine if your assembled vehicle is eligible for title and registration and if you have provided all required documents.
We strongly encourage appointments (these customers are given priority) which will continue to be
available same day and next day only for a visit to a TxDMV Regional Service Center.
Click Here to Schedule an Appointment With Your Regional Service Center.
If your vehicle is eligible and all required documents have been provided, the RSC will provide you a letter with an attached list of the verified documents. The letter, attached list, and all documents must be presented to your local county tax assessor-collector’s office to process the application for title and registration.
The following documents may be required for your assembled vehicle, based on the vehicle type, and must be submitted to the RSC for approval:
- Application for Texas Title and/or Registration (Form 130-U);
- Photographs of the front, rear, and side of the assembled vehicle, and if a replica, a photograph of what the vehicle is a replica of;
- Evidence of ownership for the basic component parts of the assembled vehicle (motor, body, and frame), as applicable to the type of assembled vehicle;
- Proof of an Automotive Service Excellence safety inspection performed by a master technician if the assembled vehicle is an assembled motor vehicle, replica, custom vehicle, or street rod;
- A copy of the Automobile and Light Truck certification, or a successor certification, for the master technician who completed the inspection;
- Vehicle Inspection Report, if the assembled vehicle is to be registered for operation on the roadway and the vehicle is not exempt from inspection;
- Rebuilt Vehicle Statement (Form VTR-61);
- Certified weight certificate;
- Trailer Verification Statement of Fact (Form VTR-141) for assembled trailers only;
- Government issued photo identification; and
- Vehicle identification number (VIN) verification document, as applicable to the type of assembled vehicle:
- a Law Enforcement Identification Number Inspection (Form VTR-68A) establishing the vehicle identification number assigned by the manufacturer of the component part by which the assembled vehicle will be identified;
- a Law Enforcement Identification Number Inspection (Form VTR-68A), and Notice of Assigned or Reassigned Identification Number (Form VTR-68-N);
- Certificate of Origin if VIN is assigned by the maker of the kit used to construct the assembled vehicle, or
- Manufacturer’s Certificate of Origin if VIN is assigned by the manufacturer of the replica, custom vehicle, street rod, or glider kit.
If you do not have proper ownership evidence for the assembled vehicle, you may apply for a bonded title by submitting the Bonded Title Application or Tax Collector Hearing Statement of Fact(Form VTR-130-SOF) to the RSC along with all other required documents.
Please contact a TxDMV RSC if you have any additional questions.