TxDMV issues an annual permit for mobile cranes exceeding legal width and weight limits.
This permit is an annual permit that expires one year from the "movement to begin" date.
Cranes operating under this permit may not exceed
- Width – 10’
- Height – Legal
- Length – Legal
- 650 pounds per inch of tire width
- 120,000 pounds gross weight
- 25,000 pounds single axle
- 46,000 pounds tandem axle group
- 60,000 pounds 3-axle group
- 70,000 pounds 4-axle group
- 81,400 pounds 5-axle group
Operating Authority Requirements
There are no operating authority requirements for issuance of this permit type.
You are responsible for routing and obtaining current restrictions prior to movement. Active time permit holders may use TxPROS to generate free routes for loads moving under their time permit.
Fees & Payment Information
The annual permit fee is $100. Fees are payable by:
- MasterCard, VISA, Discover or American Express (a service charge of 25 cents per permit plus 2.25 percent will be added.)
- Automated Clearing House (ACH) – Electronic Check (only accepted when ordering online through TxPROS)
- Personal check, business check, cashier's check or money order, payable to the Texas Department of Motor Vehicles
- Cash (MUST be delivered to a TxDMV Regional Service Center)
A permit fee will not be refunded after the permit number has been issued unless such refund is necessary to correct an error made by the Motor Carrier Division.
- General escort and equipment requirements apply to both permitted and escort vehicles.
- Cranes, moving with this permit, that are 9' wide or less, 14' high or less and 65' long or less are allowed 24-hour movement.
- Cranes moving with this permit that are 10' 6" wide or less, 14' high or less and 95' long or less are allowed night movement with front and rear escorts.
- Permit may not be amended.
- Review your permit for specific curfews and conditions that apply to your load and movement.