TxDMV issues 30, 60 and 90 day permits for the transport of loads exceeding Texas legal width or length limits. Permits expire 30, 60 or 90 days from the effective date, depending upon the type of permit purchased.
In order to qualify for a 30, 60 or 90 day permit, vehicles and loads must be:
- No greater than 13' wide, 14' high or legal length for an overwidth permit
- No greater than 8'6" wide, 14' high, 110' long for vehicles and loads on a trailer for an overlength permit
- No longer than 75' long for single vehicles moving empty or hauling a load
Note: Overwidth and overlength permits are not valid for manufactured homes or portable buildings.
NOTE: You must verify the size and weight limits needed BEFORE seeking a special permit.
Operating Authority Requirements
During the permit application process, you must provide your USDOT Number. TxDMV will check the number against the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA) system, MCMIS, for any out-of-service orders prior to permit issuance. The permit will be issued to the company name as it is listed for the USDOT Number.
If you are not required to have a USDOT Number, you must have a Permit Surety Bond in the amount of $10,000 on file with TxDMV.
You are responsible for routing and obtaining current restrictions prior to movement. Active time permit holders may use TxPROS to generate free routes for loads moving under their time permit.
How to Apply
You may also:
- Download the Application for Time Permits (Form 302) and submit by mail to the address listed on the application form.
- Call (800) 299-1700
Payment information must be provided with the permit application.
Fees & Payment Information
- 30 day time permit $120
- 60 day time permit $180
- 90 day time permit $240
Fees are payable by:
- MasterCard, VISA, Discover or American Express (a service charge of 25 cents per permit plus 2.25 percent will be added.)
- Automated Clearing House (ACH) – Electronic Check (only accepted when ordering online through TxPROS)
- Personal check, business check, cashier's check or money order, payable to the Texas Department of Motor Vehicles
- Cash (MUST be delivered to a TxDMV Regional Service Center)
A permit fee will not be refunded after the permit number has been issued unless such refund is necessary to correct an error made by the Motor Carrier Division.
- A 30/60/90 day overwidth permit may be used in conjunction with a 30/60/90 day overlength permit.
- For overlength permits front overhang cannot be more than 25' and rear overhang may not exceed 30'.
- Permit may not be amended or transferred between vehicles or permittees.
- Review your permit for specific curfews and conditions that apply to your load and movement.
- 30/60/90 day permits are issued to the truck/truck-tractor.