skip to main content

txpros txirp mccs-cms truck-stop temporary permits

TxDMV Number

IH10 05Motor carriers operating intrastate commercial motor vehicles on a road or highway in Texas must register their operations with the TxDMV’s Motor Carrier Division.

You must register as a motor carrier when you:

  • Operate a vehicle (or combination of vehicles) with a gross weight, registered weight or gross-weight rating exceeding 26,000 pounds
  • Operate a commercial motor vehicle owned or controlled by someone who is not a U.S. citizen or does not live in the United States
  • Transport hazardous materials in a quantity that requires placarding
  • Operate a farm vehicle with a gross weight, registered weight or gross weight rating of 48,000 pounds or more
  • Operate a vehicle designed to transport more than 15 passengers, including the driver
  • Operate a commercial school bus
  • Operate a foreign domiciled bus
  • Are a foreign carrier
  • Transport household goods for compensation, regardless of vehicle weight *

Motor carrier registration (TxDMV Number) is available for seven calendar days, 90 days, one year or two years. A motor carrier certificate of registration is non-transferable between carriers.

mccs-cmsMotor carriers can set up new authority (TxDMV Number), update information, renew certificate*, print cab cards and more through our online Motor Carrier Credentialing System (MCCS).

For questions or assistance with using MCCS, please contact the TxDMV at (800) 299-1700.

*Passenger carriers may not perform these functions online.

How to

Follow these steps to register. Please note that before you begin you must have a valid USDOT Number.

  1. If this is your first time to register, an owner or officer of your company must call our office at (800) 299-1700 to begin the registration process over the phone. TxDMV staff will assign you a Unique Identifier Number (UIN) and PIN.

    If you’re a passenger carrier: skip the step above and submit an Original Texas Motor Carrier Application, Form 1899 upon initial registration. Submit your form using one of the methods listed below:
    1. Fax application with credit card payment information to (512) 465-4284
    2. Mail application with payment to: TxDMV-Motor Carrier Division, P.O. Box 12984, Austin, Texas 78711-2984 (Mailed applications can take up to two weeks to process due to the addition of regular mailing time.)
      1899 Original Texas Motor Carrier Application

  2. mccs-cmsOnce you have been assigned a UIN by TxDMV, you may use the online Motor Carrier Credentialing System (MCCS). Unless you’re a passenger carrier, payment is required at this stage of registration so have your credit card ready. You may also print an Original Texas Motor Carrier Application, Form 1899 to submit by mail or fax (fax applications must include credit card payment information). Interstate carriers may not be required to pay a vehicle fee due to the Unified Carrier Registration Act of 2005.

    Online registration is faster and helps eliminate telephone hold time and filling out forms. Mailed applications can take up to two weeks to process due to the addition of regular mailing time.

  3. Have your insurance provider file proof of insurance that meets minimum levels on a Form E (the Form E is submitted online by your insurance company). Form E-2 is submitted by fax or mail for Passenger Carriers and Hazardous Material Haulers that require limits of more than $1 million in coverage with two separate policy numbers.


Fax applications to: (512) 465-4284

Mail applications to:

TxDMV, Motor Carrier Division
P.O. Box 12984
Austin, Texas 78711-2984

Processing Time

In general, a completed application may take up to five working days to process. If your application is incomplete and we request additional information, the amount of time it takes to process your application will increase.

After your insurance company files insurance for your amount and you have paid your fees to TxDMV, MCCS will convert your temporary UIN to an active TxDMV Certificate Number.

To check the status of a mailed or faxed application, call us at (800) 299-1700.

An application that contains any misrepresentation, misstatement or omission of required information will not be processed until all requirements are fulfilled.

Cab Cards

Once you are assigned a permanent certificate number TxDMV will notify you and your insurance provider via email, or by regular mail if you did not provide an email address.

Upon certificate number assignment, TxDMV will issue a motor carrier registration vehicle listing (insurance cab card) to you. A copy of the insurance cab card listing that identifies the vehicle being operated shall be maintained in the cab of the carrier's vehicles at all times.

& Payment

Motor carrier registration fees* (excluding household goods movers) are as follows:

Fee Type 7-Day 90-Day Annual Biennial
Application $5 $25 $100 $100
Vehicle $10 per vehicle $10 per vehicle $10 per vehicle $20 per vehicle
Insurance Filing (Form E) $100 $100 $100 $100

Motor carrier registration fees for household goods movers are as follows:

Fee Type Annual Biennial
Application $100 $100
Vehicle $10 per vehicle $20 per vehicle
Insurance Filing (Form E) $100 $100
Insurance Filing (Forms H & I) $100 $100

Fees are payable by:

  • MasterCard, Visa, Discover and American Express (a service charge of 25 cents plus 2.25 percent will be added.)
  • Personal check, business check, cashier's check or money order, payable to the Texas Department of Motor Vehicles

All fees are nonrefundable.


Automobile Insurance Requirements
  Description Minimum Insurance
Transporters of Hazardous Materials (that require placarding) Hazardous substances, as defined in 49 Code of Federal Regulations (CFR) §171.8,
transported in cargo tanks, portable tanks or hopper-type vehicles, with capacities in
excess of 3,500 water gallons; or any quantity of Division 1.1, 1.2 and 1.3 materials,
any quantity of Division 2.3, Hazard Zone A, or Division 6.1, Packing Group I, Hazard Zone A material; in bulk Division 2.1 or 2.2; or highway route controlled quantities of a Class 7 material, as defined in 49 CFR §173.403
Oil listed in 49 CFR §172.101: hazardous waste, hazardous materials and hazardous substances as defined in 49 CFR §171.8 and listed in 49 CFR §172.101, but not mentioned in paragraphs (a) or (b) of this subsection and petroleum products that are lubricants or fuels $1,000,000
Foreign Carriers Domiciled outside of the U.S.A. and transporting cargo other than cargo listed above $750,000
Household Goods Movers Household goods carriers with a gross weight, registered weight or gross weight rating less than 26,000 pounds $300,000
Commercial School Bus Operators For-hire school buses operating within the boundaries of a municipality and transporting preprimary, primary or secondary school students on a route between the students' residence and a public, private or parochial school or day-care facility $500,000
Bus Operators Vehicles designed or used to transport > 15 passengers (including driver) but < 26 passengers (not including driver) $500,000
Vehicles designed or used to transport 26+ passengers (not including driver) $5,000,000
Foreign Domiciled Bus Operators Vehicles designed or used to transport < 15 passengers (including driver) $1,500,000
Vehicles designed or used to transport 16+ passengers (including driver) $5,000,000
All Others Private or for-hire motor carriers with a gross weight, registered weight or gross weight rating in excess of 26,000 pounds $500,000
Cargo Insurance Requirements for Household Goods Carriers
Description Insurance
Loss of or damage to total cargo carried on any one motor vehicle $5,000
Aggregate loss of or damage to multiple shipper cargo carried on any one motor vehicle $10,000

Your insurance policy shall be kept in full force and effect as long as you continue operations. Texas requires all intrastate motor carriers to register with the department and file evidence of insurance or financial responsibility. Failure to maintain continuous evidence of insurance on a TxDMV certificate number could subject you to possible administrative penalties or administrative sanctions.

Your insurance policy shall provide that the insurance company will give MCD electronic notice 30 days prior to policy cancellation or expiration. Proof of insurance and/or cancellations must be submitted by your insurance company as follows:

  1. Proof of liability insurance must be filed on a Form E or E-2 (Form E-2 is required for limits of more than $1,000,000 in coverage with two separate policy numbers),
  2. Proof of cargo insurance must be filed on a Form H & I, and
  3. Liability cancellation must be filed on a Form K.

Note: Both Form E and Form K are provided by your insurance company and must be filed electronically by the appropriate insurance company underwriter.

Evidence of liability insurance is provided online by your insurance provider; however, it is your responsibility to ensure that the insurance filing remains in effect in order to maintain an “Active” TxDMV number.

Self-insured motor carriers must file with the TxDMV an "Application for Qualification as a Self-Insurer" containing a true and accurate statement of the motor carrier's financial condition and other evidence that establishes its ability to satisfy obligations for bodily injury and property damage liability without affecting the stability or permanency of its business. To obtain an application or for additional qualifying criteria, call (800) 299-1700.

TxDMV may accept United States Department of Transportation evidence of the motor carrier's qualifications as a self-insured.

Drug-Testing Certification

All motor carriers registered with TxDMV must certify as part of the application process that they are in compliance with federal drug-testing requirements.

Motor carriers that belong to a drug-testing consortium must also provide the names of the persons operating the consortium.

Motor carriers must report a valid, positive controlled substance test result to the Texas Department of Public Safety (DPS), in the manner required by the DPS, when performed as part of the carrier's drug-testing program on an employee of the carrier who holds a Texas commercial driver's license.

For further information about this requirement, call DPS at (512) 424-2052.


Online, using MCCS, you have the ability to:

  • Change cargo type
  • Change motor carrier name, address and/or legal agent for service of process
  • Change drug-testing consortium status
  • Cancel your Certificate of Registration
  • Change principal officers or titles within a corporation
  • Re-register a revoked certificate of registration number

You must use a Form 1910, Supplemental Motor Carrier Application to:

  • File a corporate conversion: After successful conversion of corporate structure, registered corporations must have the conversion approved by the Texas Secretary of State before filing a supplemental application with TxDMV.
  • Request PIN
  • Convert a TxDMV Motor Carrier Certificate to a UCR/Intrastate Certificate: This conversion identifies a motor carrier as having registered with the Unified Carrier Registration System within our Motor Carrier Credentialing System (MCCS).

1910 Supplemental Motor Carrier Application

Fax applications to: (512) 465-4284

Mail applications to:

TxDMV, Motor Carrier Division
P.O. Box 12984
Austin, Texas 78711-2984

Add/Replace Vehicles
or Renew

Replace a Vehicle

You do not have to pay the vehicle fee or the biennial registration vehicle fee when replacing a vehicle for which the fee was previously paid, provided that you notify TxDMV of the vehicle being taken out of service and identify the replacement vehicle before it is put into operation. You may replace a vehicle using one of the methods listed below:

  • mccs-cmsOnline
    through MCCS
    (for current online users only)

  • Download and submit a completed Form 1901, Vehicle Change Form by fax to (512) 465-4284 or by mail to the address listed on the form
    1901 Vehicle Change Form
Add Vehicles or Renew Your Certificate of Registration

TxDMV mails and emails renewal notices to a carrier's last listed mailing and email address approximately 60 days before expiration of annual and biennial certificates of registration.

You may add vehicles or renew your registration using one of the methods listed below:

  • mccs-cms Online
    through MCCS
    (for current online users only)

  • Return your renewal notice to TxDMV as indicated on the notice no later than 15 days before expiration to ensure timely return of registration listing.

Payment is required at time of registration.

  • $10 per vehicle for one year registration
  • $20 per vehicle for two year registration

If you do not receive the renewal notice, you are still responsible for renewing your registration before its expiration date. Note: 7-day and 90-day certificates of registration cannot be renewed.

To renew registration after it has expired, you must submit an Additional Motor Carrier Equipment Report, Form 1900 with all appropriate fees.

1900 Additional Motor Carrier Equipment Report

Copyright © 2017 Texas Department of Motor Vehicles. All rights reserved. - 4000 Jackson Ave, Austin, TX 78731