Single-Trip Mileage Permits for Cranes and Well-Servicing Units
TxDMV issues a single-trip, mileage-based permit for the movement of self-propelled and trailer-mounted cranes as well as well-servicing units exceeding legal Texas size and weight limits. Single-trip mileage permits are valid for a maximum of seven consecutive days, from a specific point of origin to a specific ending point. A single-trip mileage permit allows the unit to return to the point of origin or other location on the same permit, provided the miles for the entire route are charged.
The maximum permit weight for any single axle may not exceed 30,000 pounds or 850 pounds per inch of tire width, whichever is less. Units may not exceed 850 pounds per inch of tire width for non-steerable units and 950 pounds per inch of tire width for steerable units.
- General escort and equipment requirements apply to both permitted vehicles and escort vehicles.
- An oil well related vehicle or crane exceeding 175,000 pounds gross weight must have front and rear escorts when crossing bridges to prevent traffic from traveling beside the unit.
- Self-propelled well servicing units and cranes, moving with this permit, that are 9' wide or less, 14' high or less and 65' long or less are allowed 24-hour movement.
- Self-propelled cranes moving with this permit that are 10' 6" wide or less, 14' high or less and 95' long or less are allowed night movement with front and rear escorts.
- Review your permit for specific conditions that apply to your load and movement.