Hurricane Harvey Emergency Information

The Texas Department of Motor Vehicles (TxDMV) is monitoring the impacts of Hurricane Harvey closely and working with state officials, county tax assessor-collectors and others to maintain or restore services in affected areas.

Movement of Oversize/Overweight Loads in Texas Disaster Areas

Permit Waiver for motor carriers transporting oversize and/or overweight loads for Hurricane Harvey disaster relief efforts:

Permit Waiver per Gov. Greg Abbott’s Declaration of Disaster

Are you moving an oversize and/or overweight non-divisible load associated with activities related to the disaster and for which the TxDMV would normally issue a permit?

If yes, you are not required to obtain a permit at this time. Instead print the Governor Gregg Abbott's waiver and carry it in your vehicle.

View and print the TxDMV’s Waiver Notice and important restrictions.

If your load is overheight, you may use the “Bid Route” feature in the Texas Permitting and Routing Optimization System (TxPROS) at to route loads safely. Enter your height only and leave all other fields blank to use this feature during the Hurricane emergency. For information on other restrictions, review TxDMV's Permit Restrictions.

For a more accurate route than the bid route tool, contact us for routing assistance at 1-800-299-1700, option 2.

The Governor’s declaration waives all permitting requirements, including curfews and normal escort requirements. Vehicles may travel at night up to 10-feet wide without an escort and with front and rear escorts if exceeding 10-feet wide.

Texas Governor Greg Abbott has suspended certain vehicle registration requirements related to Apportioned Registration, also known as the International Registration Plan (IRP), and Temporary Permits for operators of commercial motor vehicles involved in Hurricanes/Tropical Storms Harvey and Irma disaster relief in Texas and other states. The suspension covers:

  • International Registration Plan (IRP) vehicle registration under Transportation Code, Section 502.091 and 43 TAC 217.56 to the extent the vehicle is not already registered under IRP, as long as the motor vehicle is registered in one of the 48 contiguous states of the United States; and
  • 72-/144-hour temporary registration permits under Transportation Code, Section 502.094 and 43 TAC 217.40(b)(3), as long as the vehicle is registered in another state of the United States or a state of the United Mexican States.

The suspension is needed to make it faster and easier for operators of commercial motor vehicles from Texas and other states to provide assistance to both Texas and Louisiana by temporarily waiving vehicle registration requirements to travel in and through the state of Texas. Although smaller passenger vehicles are granted free vehicle registration in Texas via registration reciprocity agreements with other states, commercial motor vehicles are not granted free vehicle registration under such agreements.

Examples of disaster assistance include, but are not limited to, vehicles engaged in the transport of relief workers, food, water, clothing, equipment, materials, fuel, shelter, and other supplies to the impacted areas, as well as vehicles used to restore utilities and to remove debris from the impacted areas.

The suspension only applies to the vehicle registration requirements for operators of commercial vehicles that are providing disaster assistance pursuant to the declarations referenced in Governor Abbott’s proclamation. The suspension does not apply to any other requirement, including any safety requirements. Also, operators are responsible and liable for safely routing their vehicles and obtaining current restrictions and information concerning hazardous road conditions prior to movement.

Please see the storm you are responding to below for specific requirements related to the Governor’s suspension.

Hurricane Harvey Disaster Relief
These suspensions will expire 14 days after the expiration of Governor Abbott’s September 20, 2017, Disaster Declaration, as amended. 

No action on your part is required to qualify for these temporary suspensions.

Hurricane Irma Disaster Relief
These suspensions terminated on October 18, 2017. 

Additional Information
Here are links that show waivers in other states and at the federal level for IRP and IFTA, as well as other useful information related to disaster relief:

  • Links that show International Registration Plan (IRP) waivers by other states:
  • Emergency Declarations, Waivers, Exemptions and Permits at the federal level as listed on the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration’s site:
  • The International Fuel Tax Associations’ links to states that have IFTA waivers related to Hurricanes Harvey and Irma Relief.

Frequently Asked Questions

Q: What should I do if my car sustained flood damage in Hurricane Harvey?
A: You should contact your insurance company as soon as possible.

Q: Will my insurance cover flood damage?
A: According to the Texas Department of Insurance (TDI), if you have comprehensive auto coverage, you are covered for flood damage to your car. Visit for more details on insurance coverage.

Q: Will I need to provide my vehicle title to my insurance company? What if my title was lost or damaged in the flood?
A: Your insurance provider may request the title for your vehicle. You can obtain a certified copy of title in person at any TxDMV Regional Service Center If you are unable to visit a TxDMV Regional Service Center, you can apply for a certified copy of title by mailing the Application for a Certified Copy of Title (Form VTR-34) to:

Texas Department of Motor Vehicles
1601-A Southwest Parkway
Wichita Falls, TX 76302

Note: The address the certified copy of title will be mailed to must be a deliverable address. Some addresses may not be deliverable in the aftermath of the storm.

Q: How do I obtain my title if there is a lien on my vehicle?
A: If you need a certified copy of title and there is a lien on the motor vehicle record, you will need to contact the lienholder to obtain a release of lien. Your insurance provider should let you know if you need to contact the lienholder.

Q: What should I do if the loss of my vehicle due to flood damage is not covered by insurance?
A: In the event the loss to your motor vehicle is not covered by insurance, there are additional steps for you to pursue. You have the option of applying for either a salvage title or a nonrepairable title, depending on the level of damage sustained. If the repair costs are more than the cash value of the vehicle immediately prior to the damage, but can be repaired, your vehicle can be considered a salvage vehicle. If your vehicle sustained significant damage and cannot be repaired, rebuilt, reconstructed, or made operable for use on a public highway, it is considered a nonrepairable motor vehicle.

Q: How can I be sure whether I need to apply for a salvage vehicle or a nonrepairable title?
A: In order to make this determination, you should obtain an appraisal of the repair cost. A salvage motor vehicle is a motor vehicle that has damage to or is missing a major component part to the extent that the cost of repairs exceeds the actual cash value of the motor vehicle immediately before the damage. A nonrepairable motor vehicle is a motor vehicle that is damaged, wrecked, or burned to the extent that the only residual value of the vehicle is as a source of parts or scrap metal. To apply for a salvage or nonrepairable title, complete the Application for a Salvage or Nonrepairable Vehicle Title (Form VTR-441), and mail it to:

Texas Department of Motor Vehicles Vehicle Titles and Registration Division
ATTN: Title Control Systems
P.O. Box 26450
Austin, Texas 78755-0450

Q: Is it legal to sell a salvaged, nonrepairable or flood-damaged vehicle in Texas?
A: Yes, as long as the title properly reflects this condition so that buyer is aware.

Q: How can I avoid buying a salvage, nonrepairable or flood-damaged vehicle?
A: Do a Title Check. The Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) is run through the National Motor Vehicle Title Information System (NMVTIS), a national consumer protection database that provides title information from states across the country. Whether you are buying from a local dealer, individual or eyeing a vehicle from an online auction website, it will help you to know what you are buying before you pay any money or sign any paperwork for the vehicle. A report from the NMVTIS database gives you the vehicle’s title history, which includes whether the vehicle was ever in the possession of a junk or salvage yard or declared a “total loss” by an insurance company.