skip to main content

010-13 Eligibility Rule for Farm License Plates

Registration and Title Bulletin - #010-13

Date: April 16, 2013

To: All County Tax Assessor-Collectors

Subject: Eligibility Rule for Farm License Plates


These documents contain text of correspondence sent by TxDMV to the county tax assessor-collectors, statutory agents who provide vehicle registration and titling services for citizens in Texas. This information is provided to apprise the general public of issues affecting the state's vehicle titling and registration process.


To inform you of a new eligibility requirement for issuance of Farm license plates.


The TxDMV Board at its March 2013 meeting adopted rules to require applicants for Farm license plates to present a permit issued by the Texas Comptroller of Public Accounts with an Agricultural and Timber Exemption Registration Number. The permit issued by the state comptroller’s office must be current, legible, contain a registration number, and be in the name of the person or DBA (doing business as) in which the vehicle will be registered.

A copy of the revised Form VTR-52-A, Application for Farm Trailer/Semitrailer, Farm Truck, or Farm Truck Tractor License Plates (Rev. 4/2013), with the eligibility requirement listed, is attached and will be posted to the department’s website at


When accepting an application for Farm license plates, ask the applicant to present a permit with a current Texas Agricultural and Timber Exemption Registration Number. A copy of the state comptroller’s permit is not required to be submitted with the application, and your office is not required to maintain a copy of the permit.


If you have questions, please contact your local TxDMV Regional Service Center.

Copyright © 2018 Texas Department of Motor Vehicles. All rights reserved. - 4000 Jackson Ave, Austin, TX 78731