Registration and Title Bulletin - #019-08
Date: August 18, 2008
To: All County Tax Assessor-Collectors
Subject: Introduction to Registration and Title System Version 5.8.1
These documents contain text of correspondence sent by TxDOT to the county tax assessor-collectors, statutory agents who provide vehicle registration and titling services for citizens in Texas. This information is provided to apprise the general public of issues affecting the state's vehicle titling and registration process.
To provide information regarding the changes to RTS to accommodate the transition to a new provider for Standard Presumptive Value (SPV) and other RTS changes.
Updates to the RTS application to be covered in version 5.8.1 Release Notes include:
- SPV (New Provider - Price Digests)
- Collection of the $5 Buyer Tag Fee
- Activity Changes for Counties
The statewide release will be distributed the evening of Thursday, August 21, 2008, and will be available for use on Friday, August 22, 2008.
The transition from Black Book, the current provider for SPV, to Price Digests will provide the same functionality with only minor changes that will be visible to the user when accessing SPV in Client Mode.
$5 Buyer Tag Fee
Effective September 1, 2008, all motor vehicle dealers are required to issue a Buyer Tag for every retail sale (in-state, out-of-state and out-of-country) and collect a fee of $5. The fee will automatically be collected based on the Dealer License Number in the RTS Title Application and Dealer Titles events.
$5 Buyer Tag Fee - Out-of-State/Out-of-Country Buyers
Motor vehicle dealers must submit collections for Buyer Tags issued for vehicles sold to out-of-state or out-of-country buyers. The Buyer Tag fees for these transactions must be collected through the RTS Additional Collections event.
In these situations, transactions are not covered by the 20-day title filing requirements as no title is being issued. The tag fee is a registration fee and is subject to the same weekly reporting requirements as other registration fees dealers remit to the counties. As long as the fees are reported through RTS as required for registration fees, the county has several processing options and may select the one that works best for their operation.
- Individual Buyer Tags may be processed as a single transaction through the RTS Additional Collections event. You would enter a Quantity of "1" and Total Price of $5.00, the Buyer Tag "Specific Number" and Customer Name would be entered as the reason.
- Multiple Buyer Tags may also be processed as a single transaction using this RTS event. You would enter the appropriate Quantity and Total Price for the quantity entered (i.e. Quantity of 5 = Total Price of $25), the Dealer Name would be entered as the reason. For these, you should require that the dealer provide you a listing containing the Buyer Tag "Specific Numbers" and Customer Name to be used in support of the Additional Collections transaction.
- Payment - Single check or separate checks at the county's option.
With the September 1st statewide implementation of the Dealer e-Tag System, you may see an increase in the number of calls you receive from the dealers in your area. If you do receive calls about the Dealer e-Tag System please feel free to provide them with the following contact information:
Business-related questions such as Receipt of User Names and Passwords, Dealer License, Temporary Tag Use or Policies, Rules and Requirements should be directed to the Motor Vehicle Division at (800) 687-7846.
Any technical questions, such as Application Functionality or Login Problems should be directed to the VTR-RTS Help Desk at (512) 302-2020.
Specialty Plate Refunds