Registration and Title Bulletin - #073-06
Date: December 22, 2006
To: All County Tax Assessor-Collectors
Subject: Assigned Numbers Pencil Tracing Requirement
These documents contain text of correspondence sent by TxDOT to the county tax assessor-collectors, statutory agents who provide vehicle registration and titling services for citizens in Texas. This information is provided to apprise the general public of issues affecting the state's vehicle titling and registration process.
To provide guidance on a new Assigned Number procedure which eliminates the requirement that a pencil tracing be filed with title paperwork at the county.
Under Texas Transportation Code §501.033, it is an applicant's responsibility to ensure that an Assigned Number issued by TxDOT is die-stamped accurately on their vehicle in the appropriate place. The Department of Public Safety agrees that compliance with the statute is dependent upon an applicant obtaining an Assigned Number through a VTR Regional Office, and getting that assigned vehicle identification number properly die-stamped.
Effective immediately, pencil tracings for the following Assigned Numbers are no longer required by departmental policy:
- Assigned "TEX" numbers issued to 1956 and later model vehicles (and Ford products manufactured since March 31, 1932) when the original manufacturer's number has been removed or the manufacturer never assigned a number.
- Assigned "HT" and "TR" numbers issued to Homemade and Shopmade House Trailers, Trailers, and Semitrailers.
- Assigned "TEX" numbers issued to Motorcycles when the original manufacturer's number has been removed.
- Assigned Component Parts, including assigned "T" numbers for motors,
- "TM" numbers for transmissions, "F" numbers for frames, and "B" numbers for an assigned body component.
Notify all county personnel as appropriate.
Please contact your local Vehicle Titles and Registration Division Regional Office if you have questions.
In some cases the Registration and Title Bulletins (RTB) contain attachments. If you require a copy of the original signed RTB and the attachments, please e-mail us and include the RTB number. Repeat requests are subject to charges in accordance with Open Record policies. A subscription service is also available for an annual fee of $250. Subscribers will automatically