Annual Utility Pole Permits
TxDMV issues annual utility pole permits for vehicles used exclusively for the transportation of poles required for the maintenance of electric power transmission and distribution of lines. Maximum vehicle dimensions may be up to 75' long and may not exceed other Texas legal size and weight limits.
How to Apply
You may also:
- Download and submit Form 302a, Application/Renewal for Time Permits by fax to (512) 465-4251 or by mail to the address listed on the application form, or
- Call (800) 299-1700
Payment information must be provided with the permit application.
Prior to being issued a permit, you must comply with TxDMV Motor Carrier Registration (MCR) or Unified Carrier Registration (UCR). If not required to have TxDMV MCR or UCR, you must have a permit bond in the amount of $10,000 on file with TxDMV.
Fees & Payment
The annual permit fee is $120.
Fees are payable by:
- MasterCard, VISA, Discover or American Express (a service charge of 25 cents plus 2.25 percent will be added.)
- Funds deposited in a pre-established escrow account
- Permit Account Card (PAC) or FirstPay Account established through Frost Bank San Antonio
- Personal check, business check, cashier's check or money order, payable to the Texas Department of Motor Vehicles
- Cash (MUST be delivered to a TxDMV Regional Service Center)
A permit fee will not be refunded after the permit number has been issued unless such refund is necessary to correct an error made by the Motor Carrier Division.
The following lighting must be displayed at all times:
- two red lamps visible at a distance of at least 500 feet from the rear
- two red reflectors that indicate the maximum width and are visible, when light is insufficient or atmospheric conditions are unfavorable, at all distances from 100 to 600 feet from the rear when directly in front of lawful lower beams of light
- two red lamps, one on each side, that indicate the maximum overhang and are visible at a distance of at least 500 feet from the side
You are responsible for routing and obtaining current restrictions and information concerning hazardous weather-related road conditions prior to movement. Active time permit holders may use TxPROS to generate free routes for loads moving under their time permit.
- Night movement will be allowed for emergency movement by utility companies only to restore power. A rear escort is required for emergency night movement by utility companies.
- Review your permit for specific curfews and conditions that apply to your load and movement.