Annual Implements of Husbandry Permits
TxDMV issues an annual permit for transporting implements of husbandry exceeding Texas legal size and weight limits. This permit is an annual permit that expires one year from the effective date.
Oversize or overweight implements of husbandry operating under this permit may not exceed:
- Maximum Width - 16'
- Maximum Height - 16'
- Maximum Length - 110'
- Maximum Weight – Max. allowable permit weights
Implements of husbandry include farm implements, machinery and tools, as used in tilling the soil, towed vehicles that transport to the field and spread fertilizer or agricultural chemicals, and motor vehicles designed and adapted to deliver feed to livestock. Examples: cultivators, farm tractors, reapers, binders, combines, cotton module builders, planters, discs, etc.
Implements of husbandry do not include automobiles, trucks or items used on the farm such as irrigation systems, silo, barns, etc.
Contact MCD at (800) 299-1700 for questions concerning eligibility.
Note: Implements of husbandry that are only overwidth are not required to have a permit, provided they do not travel more than 50 miles on an Interstate Highway System.
How to Apply
You may also:
- Download and submit Form 302, Application/Renewal for Time Permits by fax to (512) 465-4251 or by mail to the address listed on the application form, or
- Call (800) 299-1700
Payment information must be provided with the permit application.
Prior to being issued a permit, you must comply with TxDMV Motor Carrier Registration (MCR) or Unified Carrier Registration (UCR). If not required to have TxDMV MCR or UCR, you must have a permit bond in the amount of $10,000 on file with TxDMV.
Fees & Payment
The permit fee is $270.
In addition to the permit fee, a highway maintenance fee is required for loads exceeding 80,000 pounds. Highway maintenance fees are listed in the table below:
|Gross Weight in Pounds||Highway Maintenance Fee||Permit Fee||Total Fee|
|80,001 - 120,000||$150||$270||$420|
|120,001 - 160,000||$225||$270||$495|
|160,001 - 200,000||$300||$270||$570|
|200,001 - above*||$375||$270||$645|
*Vehicles and loads with a combined gross vehicle weight exceeding 200,000 pounds must have at least 95 feet of total axle spacing. A vehicle supervision fee will be charged, in addition to the permit fee and highway maintenance fee, for loads exceeding 200,000 pounds.
Fees are payable by:
- MasterCard, VISA, Discover or American Express (a service charge of 25 cents plus 2.25 percent will be added.)
- Funds deposited in a pre-established escrow account
- Permit Account Card (PAC) or FirstPay Account established through Frost Bank San Antonio
- Personal check, business check, cashier's check or money order, payable to the Texas Department of Motor Vehicles
- Cash (MUST be delivered to a TxDMV Regional Service Center)
A permit fee will not be refunded after the permit number has been issued unless such refund is necessary to correct an error made by the Motor Carrier Division.
You are responsible for routing and obtaining current restrictions and information concerning hazardous weather-related road conditions prior to movement. Active time permit holders may use TxPROS to generate free routes for loads moving under their time permit.
- General escort and equipment requirements apply to both permitted vehicles and escort vehicles.
- A permit may not be transferred between vehicles or permittees.
- Review your permit for specific conditions that apply to your load and movement