Single-Trip House Move
TxDMV issues a single-trip permit for the movement of houses that exceed 20 feet wide. Single-trip permits may only be used for one movement, during the times specified on the permit, from a specific point of origin to a specific destination.
TxDMV will provide you with a proposed route based on:
- the amount of inconvenience and hazard imposed on the traveling public
- highway geometrics and time of movement
- the overall width, measured to the nearest inch, of the house, including the eaves or porches
A representative of your company must physically inspect the proposed route to ensure the safety of the load, traveling public and state infrastructure. You must notify TxDMV in writing whether the vehicle and load can or cannot safely negotiate the proposed route.
How to Apply
You may also:
- Download and submit Form 109, Pre-Approved House Move Application by fax to (512) 465-4248, or
- Call (800) 299-1700
Payment information must be provided with the permit application.
If your vehicle and load combination exceed 80,000 lbs. or legal axle/axle group weights, you must either complete the loading diagram on Page 3 of the application form or include the axle spacings and weights in TxPROS.
Prior to being issued a permit, you must comply with TxDMV Motor Carrier Registration (MCR) or Unified Carrier Registration (UCR). If not required to have TxDMV MCR or UCR, you must have a permit bond in the amount of $10,000 on file with TxDMV.
Fees & Payment
The permit fee is $60.
In addition to the permit fee, a highway maintenance fee is required for loads exceeding 80,000 pounds. Highway maintenance fees are listed in the table below:
|Gross Weight in Pounds||Highway Maintenance Fee||Permit Fee||Total Fee|
|120,001 - 160,000||$225||$60||$285|
|160,001 - 200,000||$300||$60||$360|
|200,001 - above*||$375||$60||$435|
*Vehicles and loads with a combined gross vehicle weight exceeding 200,000 pounds must have at least 95 feet of total axle spacing. A vehicle supervision fee will be charged, in addition to the permit fee and highway maintenance fee, for loads exceeding 200,000 pounds.
Fees are payable by:
- MasterCard, VISA, Discover or American Express (a service charge of 25 cents plus 2.25 percent will be added.)
- Funds deposited in a pre-established escrow account
- Permit Account Card (PAC) or FirstPay Account established through Frost Bank San Antonio
- Personal check, business check, cashier's check or money order, payable to the Texas Department of Motor Vehicles
- Cash (MUST be delivered to a TxDMV Regional Service Center)
A permit fee will not be refunded after the permit number has been issued unless such refund is necessary to correct an error made by the Motor Carrier Division.
- General escort and equipment requirements apply to both permitted vehicles and escort vehicles.
- Once a route is decided upon and a permit is issued, the permit route may not be amended unless an exception is granted by MCD.
- Review your permit for specific conditions that apply to your load and movement.