- Pop-up blockers will need to be disabled for the eTag system. In most cases, you can set your pop-up blocker to "always allow" for the eTag system. If you are not automatically prompted to allow for pop-ups when you enter the eTag system, you will need to enter https://vision21.txdmv.gov/ into your pop-up program as an allowed site.
- Plug-ins should be enabled for the eTag site.
- ActiveX filtering should be unchecked within the eTag site. If you have problems printing with the Adobe Reader® ActiveX® plug-in while using the Internet Explorer® browser, here is another workaround:
- In Adobe Reader® or Acrobat®, choose Edit > Preferences.
- Select Internet.
- Deselect "Display PDF In Browser", and then click OK.
- Phishing filters may interfere with processing eTags. Disable the filters on your computer or set them to "always allow" access from https://vision21.txdmv.gov/.
- Set your computer's security setting at medium or make an exception for the eTag system by adding https://vision21.txdmv.gov/ to your allowed sites.
- Your computer's content advisor may need to be disabled or set to allow access to https://vision21.txdmv.gov/.
If you are unsure of how to change the settings on your computer, please consult the "Help" manual that was installed on your computer with the operating system. If you have installed other programs, such as an anti-virus program or your online provider gave you phishing filters and pop-up blocker features, please consult with your internet service provider about how to change your settings for use with the eTag system.
- Check for any critical updates to your operating system, browser(s) and Adobe Acrobat® or Adobe Reader®. Visit the respective software manufacturer's website to check for updates and follow their instructions for downloading and installing these updates.
- If problems persist, you may uninstall and reinstall Adobe Reader®. Sometimes, an incomplete installation of this application may prevent printing.
- If printing problems persist while using Internet Explorer®, you may wish to install another browser to use with eTags, such as Mozilla Firefox®.
If you click on "Print Tag Image" or "Reprint Tag Image" and get an error message, first be sure you have Adobe Reader installed on your computer.
If you are still having trouble printing with Internet Explorer and Adobe Reader, try using an alternate web browser or change your Adobe Reader preferences to open documents directly in Adobe Reader. Here's how:
- Open Adobe Acrobat Reader.
- Select "Preferences" from the Edit menu.
- Select "Internet" from the Categories: list.
- Uncheck the box that says "Display PDF in browser"
When you click on "Print Tag Image" Internet Explorer will ask you to verify that you want to download the file. Then retry the webpage. The tag and receipts will now open in a separate, stand-alone version of the Adobe Reader.
If you can log in but cannot print or if you can't log in to the eTags system
- If you can log onto the system but can't print the eTag images, try reprinting the tag image. If this does not work, use an Internet Down Tag to manually enter the owner and vehicle information, and contact the eTag Help Desk for assistance.
Trailers without VINs
Many utility trailers less than 4,000 lbs. do not have a VIN. The eTags System requires a VIN to obtain a buyer's tag or a vehicle-specific dealer tag. To complete the transaction, in the VIN field, you will enter the words "novin" along with the date and time.
For example: novin04052015341 represents a no VIN trailer eTag transaction was processed on 04/05/2015 at 3:41 pm.
You will still have the option to obtain a VIN for the trailer frame from the TxDMV Regional Service Centers.
If you have problems with the eTag Database, please provide feedback with as much specific information as possible so we can troubleshoot the problem. Here’s what we need to know:
2. A description of the problem (examples enclosed)
- I receive a message “Invalid username or password” when logging into the system.
- I have created my allotment of Internet Down Tags and now I need more allotted.
- The eTag system works on some computers but not others.
- The eTag system prints to some printers but not others.
- There is a message about pop-ups.
- The eTag system displays a message “There has been an error in the operation you are trying to perform, please contact the system administrator.”
- The eTag system displays a message “You don’t have permission to view this page.”
- The eTag system will not create an eTag image. (Specify what type of tags this is affecting.)
- The eTag system creates an eTag image but it will not print.
- Other - Provide a description of the problem you are experiencing with the eTag system
- Your license (P) number
- All locations tied to the license number
- All DBAs associated to that license (and location of each DBA)
- A contact person and a phone number where they can be reached